St. Lawrence Catholic Church

© Photographed June 1, 2017
Stangelville, Kewaunee County, Wisconsin
44.399627, -87.684407

This property has been
placed on the
NATIONAL REGISTER
OF HISTORIC PLACES
by the United States
Department of the Interior.
Plaque donated by Albert & Rose Konop

St. Lawrence Catholic Church is located on southbound County Road AB, at its intersection with County Road J, Stangelville, Wisconsin 54208.

St. Lawrence parish was started in 1864 by Czech immigrants from the Chodsko region of the province of Bohemia. This building was erected over two years, from 1892 to 1894, in Victorian Gothic design. It cost $15,000 (approximately $382,000.00 today) to build the church, a staggering amount since the parishioners were poor farm workers.

The church is 50 feet wide, 100 feet long. The steeple reaches 125 feet into the heavens. Two bells hang in the steeple -- and are still used to call the faithful to worship.

St. Lawrence Catholic Church was designed as a National and Wisconsin Historical site in 1989.

See also, Saint Lawrence Church / Stangelville, Wis., also at this location.


The plaque is affixed to the facade to the right of the church entrance.





The inscription reads: "St. Lawrence Pray for Us."


And now for the incredible beauty of the interior:







































 An old-fashioned confessional!

 The west side (back) of the church.

 The rectory building, built in 1909.

 The cemetery behind the church.


See also, Saint Lawrence Church / Stangelville, Wis., also at this location. 

 View of the church from northbound County Road AB.

 With the church in the distance, the entire Stangelville community.

St. Lawrence Catholic Church is located in Stangelville, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment