Menominee Park

© Photographed June 21, 2017
Erected by Oshkosh Parks
Oshkosh, Winnebago County, Wisconsin
44.020527, -88.519531

Menominee Park
Menominee Park was named for the Native American people who once inhabited the area. Menominee means "wild rice gatherers." Originally called North Park, the park was renamed in 1911 when Colonel John Hicks gave the city the statue of Menominee Chief Oshkosh. Mayor Ephraim Stevens convinced the city of purchase the land in 1899 from Lucius Miller, Sixth District congressman. The purchase was not without controversy. People thought the land too swampy and the price too high. Some wanted development rather than a park. But the mayor prevailed. The part was expanded in 1905 through an anonymous bequest and was greatly enlarged in 1933 with depression era federal funding.
The marker is located at the entrance to the Menominee Park Zoo, located alongside Siewert Avenue, at its intersection with Pratt Trail, north of its intersection with Merritt Avenue, at or near 520 Pratt Trail, Oshkosh, Wisconsin 54901.

Menominee Park & Zoo Facebook Page

Menominee Park Zoo

The marker is included in the Oshkosh Parks Historical Markers series.



Just inside the entrance to the zoo . . .




Nearby statue of Chief Oshkosh.

The marker (visible to the left) is at the entrance
to the Menominee Park Zoo.

Beautiful nearby Victorian . . .

The marker is located at the Menominee Park Zoo
in Oshkosh, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment