Erected 1981 by Madison Landmarks Commission
Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin
Designated March 16, 1981Since it was founded in 1907, St. Bernard's Parish has been a religious and social focus of neighborhood life on the East side. This imposing church building was erected during a decade of heavy construction activity among Madison's religious institutions, much of which was directed toward serving the rapidly growing suburbs. The native sandstone structure was the largest Catholic church in the city when it was built. The architect, John Flad, designed many Catholic churches throughout the Midwest.
Madison Landmarks Commission
Landmark Nomination Form
- St. Bernard's Church meets Landmarks Designation Criteria #3: It embodies the "distinguishing characteristics of an architectural type specimen," inherently valuable for a study of the Gothich Revival style and of an indigenous material, Madison sandstone.
- St. Bernard's congregation was organized in 1908 for 80 families on Madison's rapidly expanding east side.
- St. Bernard's is constructed of rusticated Madison sandstone with Colfax stone trimmings. Its plan is a standard Gothich cruciform.
The marker is No. 66 in a series of markers erected by the Madison Landmarks Commission.