Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin
The original Sherman Avenue crossing over the Yahara River was a wooden bridge built by Leonard Farwell circa 1848. It was replaced in 1874. By 1904 the bridge consisted of steel beams, plates and rivets with a wooden plank deck. There are four similar bridges over the Yahara River in use today, all of which were initially constructed as railroad bridges.
This bridge was replaced in 1934 by a steel bridge with a concrete arch facade. The beams, deck and railings of the 1934 bridge were replaced in 2003 with concrete beams and facade and railing that match the 1934 construction.