Welcome to the Portage Canal

© Photographed April 1, 2017
Erected by Portage Historic Preservation Commission
Portage, Columbia County, Wisconsin
N 43° 32.292, W 089° 27.643
43.538200, -89.460717
Welcome to the
Portage Canal.
Historic Waterway of
Portage, Wisconsin.
"The City of Berlin", heading East in the Canal. Built in 1889, the
120-ft. steamer was destroyed by fire in 1895.

The marker is adjacent to the north bank of the Portage Canal, and is accessible from the U.S. Bank parking lot on eastbound West Edgewater Street, east of its intersection with Lock Street, at or near




The Portage Canal was built to connect the Fox River and Wisconsin River at Portage, Wisconsin along the Fox-Wisconsin Waterway. For a time, it completed a route from the north Atlantic Ocean, through the St. Lawrence Seaway and down the Mississippi River to the Gulf of Mexico, and back to the Atlantic.






The marker is located in Portage, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment