Viroqua's Historic Downtown

© Photographed April 7 and 8, 2017
Erected 2001 by the Viroqua Historic Preservation Commission
Viroqua, Vernon County, Wisconsin
43.554472, -90.889171

HISTORIC DOWNTOWN
Listed as a National and State Historic District in 2004
Founded 1846
by Moses Decker. The town was originally
called Deckerville, then Farwell and in 1854,
Viroqua. The first downtown building was a
log house built by the Decker Family.
Downtown has developed and prospered in
spite of fires, tornadoes, ice storms and the
Great Depression. By 1908 there were 44
businesses in or near downtown. As in the
past, our downtown continues to be the
"heart" of our community.
Erected in 2011 by the Viroqua Historic Preservation Commission
to honor all the "Pioneers" of the past, present & future
who contribute(d) to downtown's vitality

[Side two of the marker (see below)]
Significant Events In Viroqua History
1846  Viroqua Founded
1848  Wisconsin becomes a State
1851  Viroqua named County seat
1852  Post Office established
1861  Civil War began
1865  Tornado destroys a third of the town
1866  Library established
1878  First public high school established
1879  First train arrived
1882  Viroquan Jerimiah Rusk became Governor
The marker is adjacent to Veterans Memorial Park and is accessible from northbound South Main Street / U.S. Route 14 / 61, just north of its intersection with East Terhune Street, Viroqua, Wisconsin 54665.

Looking north along South Main Street, into downtown . . .

Side two of the marker.

The marker is next to the Viroqua Area Veterans Memorial.

Some of the beautiful buildings
in Viroqua's historic downtown:









The marker is located in Viroqua, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment