Wisconsin Historical Society Architecture and History Inventory
105 S. Main Street
Reference No. 3572
Set on a knoll and surrounded by a lawn and trees, this church is elegant in its Greek Revival simplicity. A large triangular pediment, bearing the 1857 date when the congregation was founded, dominates the symmetrical facade. Corner pilasters rise to a projecting cornice, and prominent hoods crown tall, narrow triple-sash windows and a paneled door. Above the peak of the pediment rises a two-stage steeple terminating in a tall spire, made of heavy timbers joined by pegged mortises and tenons. Wooden shingles originally covered the copper-sheathed spire. The Pardeeville Presbyterian congregation built this church in 1864, modeling it on the Welsh Congregational Church (now gone) in nearby Cambria. Alterations to the building include a small vestry added to the rear in 1957 and the remodeling of the interior in the 1950s and 1960s.
Pardeeville Presbyterian Church is an historic Presbyterian church located at 105 South Main Street in Pardeeville, Wisconsin. Pardeeville's Presbyterian congregation, which was founded in 1857, built the church from 1863 to 1865. The congregation copied the church's Greek Revival design from the Welsh Congregation Church in nearby Cambria. At the time, Greek Revival churches were rare in Wisconsin, as the style was more common in residential buildings. The church's front entrance is flanked by pilasters and topped by a transom and a dentillated cornice. A pediment tops the front facade, and a louvered belfry and copper spire rise above the pediment.The foregoing Wikipedia Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Click here for more information.
The church was added to the National Register of Historic Places on January 15, 1980.
First Presbyterian Church of Pardeeville