Monona Lake Assembly Normal Hall / D.R. Jones, Architect / 1884

© Photographed April 23, 2017
Erected 1988 by the Madison Landmarks Commission
Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin
43.053667, -89.375750

MONONA LAKE ASSEMBLY
NORMAL HALL
D.R. Jones, Architect
1884
This pavilion was built as a 450-seat lecture hall for the Monona Lake Assembly. Established to provide instruction for Sunday school teachers, it soon became a popular summer camp for tourists from throughout the Midwest. As many as 15,000 came each year for religious instruction, entertainment, recreation, and lectures by such notables as William McKinley and "Fighting Bob" La Follette. The Hall is one of the last buildings remaining from Madison's heyday as a resort community.
Designated March 21, 1988
Madison Landmarks Commission

The marker is located at Olin-Turvill Park, affixed to the south side of the Monona Lake Assembly Normal Hall; the Normal Hall is located at the top of the highest hill in the park, at or near 1156 Olin-Turville Court, Madison, Wisconsin 53715.


The marker is visible on the right.

The west side entrance to the Normal Hall.

View of the Normal Hall from the park road.
The marker is visible on the far left corner.

 View across Lake Monona to the Wisconsin Capitol building
(from parking lot to access marker location).

The marker is located at Olin-Turville Park in Madison, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment