The Longfellow School served the ethnically diverse Greenbush neighborhood as a community anchor between 1918 and 1980. Designed by the prominent Madison firm of Law, Law and Potter, the school is an excellent example of the Elizabethan Revival, a brick subtype of the Tudor Revival style. The school is also significant as an embodiment of Progressive educational ideals, including a curriculum of manual training and the improvement of health and nutrition. The school design incorporated new features such as a gymnasium, lunchroom, nurse's office, an auditorium and library.
The marker is No. 102 in a series of markers erected by the Madison Landmarks Commission.
See also these nearby related markers: