Larson House 1911

© Photographed April 23, 2017
Erected 1996 by Madison Landmarks Commission
Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin
43° 3.827′ N, 89° 24.886′ W

LARSON HOUSE
1911
The Larson House, attributed to the architectural firm of Claude and Starck, is significant as an exceptional local example of the Prairie Style. The Prairie Style is one of the few indigenous American styles, identifiable by its horizontal emphasis and use of stucco, brick and stone. Contributing to the horizontal effect are wide overhanging eaves and ribbons of windows with intricate leaded glass in the upper sash. The treatment of window pairs meeting at 45 degrees provides a variation to the bay window. This was the home of prominent Madison businessman, August Larson and his wife Della.
Designated July 15, 1996
Madison Landmarks Commission 

Larson House is located on the southwest corner of the intersection of Grant Street and Jefferson Street, at or near 1006 Grant Street, Madison, Wisconsin 53711.


No comments:

Post a Comment