Historic Trail Markers: First Marker

© Photographed April 7, 2017
Erected 1930 by Viroqua, Wisconsin historian Dr. C.V. Porter
(Marker No. 1 CVP)
Liberty Pole (Viroqua), Vernon County, Wisconsin
43° 29.129′ N, 90° 55.023′ W
Google Map

HISTORIC TRAIL MARKERS

This marker erected by Dr.  C. V. Porter
in the early 1930's, was the first in a
series set up to commemorate historic
sites. It was originally located along
the roadside a short distance west of
the church. It was moved to this site in
1993.

Grateful appreciation is given
to Dr. C.V. Porter whose hard
work and dedication preserved
this segment of history for all.
Vernon County Historical Society
Wisconsin Humanities Committee
Wisconsin State Dept. of Transportation
Vernon County Highway Department

The State of Wisconsin recognizes Dr. Porter's markers as part of Vernon County history but does not condone the language or prejudicial inferences used on some of the markers. Dr. Porter used descriptive, interpretative language which he researched and felt was acceptable for his time.
The marker is located on at a highway pull-off on westbound Hornby Hollow Road, west of its intersection with Wisconsin Highway 27 / 82, Liberty Pole (Viroqua), Wisconsin 54665.

These markers are also at this location:




 The renowned Liberty Pole Store,
just around the bend from the marker location.

The marker is located in Liberty Pole, Wisconsin.

The marker is located within the city boundaries of Viroqua, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment