Brittingham Boat House 1910 / Ferry & Clas

© Photographed April 23, 2015
Erected 1977 by Madison Landmarks Commission
Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin
43° 3.88′ N, 89° 23.347′ W

BRITTINGHAM BOAT
HOUSE
1910
Ferry & Class
The construction of this public boat house represents the spirit of municipal improvement that infused this city at the turn of the century. The parkland and its model facilities were created through the generosity of lumberman Thomas E. Brittingham and the hard work of a private group, The Madison Park and Pleasure Drive Association, headed by John M. Olin. George B. Ferry and Alfred C. Clas were distinguished Milwaukee architects known here for their design of the State Historical Society Building.
Designated July 18, 1977
Madison Landmarks Commission

The marker is located at the Brittingham Boat House and is accessible from northbound North Shore Drive / U.S. Route 151, north of its intersection with South Brittingham Place, at or near 701 W. Brittingham Place, Madison, Wisconsin 53715.

NOTE: The marker is accessible from a bike path that runs parallel with North Shore Drive. There is a parking lot just north of the boat house; park there and walk south on the bike path to the marker location.


The marker is affixed to the facade, to the left of the doors.

The marker is easily accessible from the bike path.

The full length of the boat house.

 Can you see the very tip of the Capitol building peering above the trees?

View of Brittingham Bay from the parking lot.


A lovely Mrs. Mallard enjoying the sunny, warm day.

No comments:

Post a Comment