This Italianate style farmhouse was built for Seth Van Bergen from locally quarried sandstone. It is characterized by ornate wood bracketing and a central cupola. In 1859, Van Bergen sold the house to James B. Bowen, local homeopathic physician, and Bowen's son-in-law, Wayne Ramsay, cashier of the First National Bank. Bowen lived in the house until his death in 1881, when the Ramsay family occupied it.
The marker is No. 17 in a series of markers erected by the Madison Landmarks Commission.