Saint Croix Falls, Polk County, Wisconsin
Where are the Falls?
A series of rapids once cascaded 55 feet over six miles down this section of river. Canoes had to be portaged and boats could not travel upriver. The largest "falls" tumbled 20 feet over 100 yards. They provided a natural source of power for sawmills and encouraged the growth of two towns - St. Croix Falls and Taylors Falls.
Construction began in 1904 on a hydroelectric dam that finally subdued the river. As a result, all but the last stretch of rapids (below the Highway 8 bridge) are buried beneath the lake or flowage behind the dam. Minneapolis General Electric began to generate power in 1907 to meet a growing demand.