1030 North 3rd Street, Milwaukee County, Milwaukee
Historic Name: Usinger's
Other Name: Usinger's Sausage Factory
Reference Number: 41782
Year Built: 1888
Architectural Style: NeoclassicalWall Material: Brick
Architect: Jacob Hausmann & Bro.
National/State Register Listing Name: Old World Third Street Historic District
National Register Listing Date: 1987-03-19
State Register Listing Date: 1989-01-01
Good example of typical brick commercial building/warehouse. Possesses integrity of form and appearance. The store is equipped with marble counters and has a tile floor and wood panelled and beamed ceiling murals of elves making sausage. The murals are signed by George Peter, Milwaukee. A non-contributing one-story addition listed as 1016 North 3rd Street is also in the photo on the Inventory card. Fred Usinger established his sausage business in 1880 at this location. Schowalter & Woelzle was the resident in 1888.