Milwaukee, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin
Wisconsin Historical Society Architecture and History Inventory
Historic Name: Blatz Brewery Complex
Other Name: Pabst Brewing Company Complex
Reference Number: 17134
Year Built: 1891
Architectural Style: German Renaissance Revival
Wall Material: Brick
Architect: August Gunzmann
National/State Register Listing Name: Blatz Brewery Complex
National Register Listing Date: 1986-04-15
State Register Listing Date: 1989-01-01
The foregoing content used with permission of the Wisconsin Historical Society.The Blatz Brewery Complex includes Stock Houses # 1 (1906), # 2 (1904) and # 3 (1891). Three non-historic buildings built on same land in 1930, 1947 and an addition to the Brewhouse in 1946. Most of these structures were demolished in late 1970s to make was for a parking lot. Stock House #1 was built in 1906. It has had the fewest alterations in the out of the three stockhouses, losing only it's 5th story cornice and triangular pediments. Sotck House #2 was constructed in 1904. A oversized steel frame superstructure was constructed atop #2's tower in the 1940's as a part of a giant sign. The sign itself has been removed. Stock House #3 is the oldest structure on the complex, dates from 1891. In the 1930s an additional floor was added, and the pediments were removed. Modern window openings were put in both the north and south facades of #3 at a date unspecified. The west facade was destroyed in the late 1970's when Stockhouse #5 was razed. Holes from this were patched with concrete block. The Valenting Blatz Brewing Company was the first of a long line of German brewers to establish Milwaukee as an international capital of beer manufacturing. Blatz, born in 1826 in Miltenberg, Bavaria, came to the US in 1848. He stayed in Buffalo, N.Y. until moving to Milwaukee in 1851. Here, he took control of a small brewery established in 1845-46 by John Brown. From this meager begining he built a national distribution of beer that grew from 95,000 barrels per year in 1875 to 400,000 in 1894. It was the greatest increase of production of any company in the City of Milwaukee.
See also, Val. Blatz Brewing Co., across the street from this location.
possibly by Moritz Ulffers (1819-1902).
This image is available from the United States Library of Congress's
Prints and Photographs division under the digital ID cph.3a19279.
This media file is in the public domain;