Trinity-Freistadt Historical Site: 2 Radue Chicken Coop

© Photographed July 16, 2016
Erected by Trinity Historical Society
Mequon, Ozaukee County, Wisconsin
43.233936, -88.046221 
43° 14.031′ N, 88° 2.799′ W
Google Map

2
RADUE CHICKEN COOP

The History of the Radue Chicken Coop
The Radue Chicken Coop was originally located on the August Radue farm (about 1 mi. east of its present location, north of Freistadt Road, on Farmdale Road).

This building was acquired by the Trinity Historical Society and moved to its present location in 1967.
Construction
The structural elements of the Radue Chicken Coop are made of whole log timbers, a common construction type in the area up until the late 1870's. Previous to the 1880's there were no convenient sawmills in the area.

For the frugal farmer of the era it was much more practical to cut down several trees from his property for building this typical outbuilding. At a later date, as sawn lumber became less expensive and more abundant, the chicken coop would have been re-sided in sawn wood planks.
What was a Chicken Coop used for?
Chickens, and other poultry such as ducks, geese and turkeys, were an essential part of farm life. Eggs were an important food source, used in cooking and baking. Chickens and their eggs were used for trade, barter and income. Feathers were used to stuff pillows, coverlets and mattresses.

Some eggs were allowed to hatch, thereby increasing the flock and providing a source of fresh meat in the days before refrigeration. 

During the summer, one of the young male poults would be butchered for the Sunday meal. It was the only fresh meat to be had for the week. The traditional Sunday chicken dinner had its beginnings during this era. The Chicken Coop or Hen House provided shelter from the weather, protection from predators and a clean place to nest. The daily chore of collecting eggs was made easier by having the nests all in one place. In addition, the hen house was cleaned out on a regular basis. The manure made a good fertilizer for the vegetable garden.
The marker is located at Trinity-Freistadt Historical Site, and is accessible from southbound North Church Place, south of its intersection with West Freistadt Road, at or near 11705 North Church Place, Mequon, Wisconsin 53097.

Unfortunately, the Facebook Page does not post hours that the location is open.


See also, Marker 85: The Oldest Lutheran Church in Wisconsin, a short distance from the Trinity Freistadt Historical Site.




Freistadt (literally "Freetown") is today located in the
postal area of Mequon, Wisconsin.


 Radue Chicken Coop is located at Trinity-Freistadt Historical Site
in Mequon, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment