Trinity-Freistadt Historical Site: 11 Parsonage Barn

© Photographed July 16, 2016
Erected by Trinity Historical Society
Mequon, Ozaukee County, Wisconsin
43.233936, -88.046221 
43° 14.031′ N, 88° 2.799′ W
Google Map

11
PARSONAGE BARN

History of the Parsonage Barn
The Parsonage Barn was built in 1867, and is the only building at this historical grounds to remain at its original location.
Construction
This is an original 'fachwerk' barn. 'Fachwerk' is a construction method typically used in Pommerania, the area from which the settlers of Freistadt emigrated.

This building style consists of exposed wood beams, and the large open areas are filled with brick, stone or even clay and straw. The fill material is then covered with plaster. Many 'fachwerk' buildings were victims of the settlers inexperience with Wisconsin building conditions. Pommerania's winters were mild. Frost didn't penetrate the soil as deeply as in Wisconsin. Building in the same way they had in Germany, they unintentionally failed to dig the foundations of their earlier buildings deep enough.

The west wing of the parsonage barn was added in 1906.

The house just to the south of the barn stands on the site of the original parsonage built for Pastor Krause, the first pastor of Trinity Freistadt Church. The house that stands at that site now was built in 1894 and was used as a teacherage.
The marker is located at Trinity-Freistadt Historical Site, and is accessible from southbound North Church Place, south of its intersection with West Freistadt Road, at or near 11705 North Church Place, Mequon, Wisconsin 53097.

Unfortunately, the Facebook Page does not post hours that the location is open.


See also, Marker 85: The Oldest Lutheran Church in Wisconsin, a short distance from the Trinity Freistadt Historical Site.



Freistadt (literally "Freetown") is today located in the
postal area of Mequon, Wisconsin.


 The Parsonage Barn is located at
 Trinity-Freistadt Historical Site is Mequon, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment