Dettman's Shanty (1935)

© Photographed July 3, 016
Algoma, Kewaunee County, Wisconsin
44.609550, -87.433971
44°36'34.4"N 87°26'02.3"W

1935
Dettman's Shanty
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places

Dettman's Shanty is located on the west bank of Anhapee River and is accessible from the intersection of Shanty Road and Church Street, Algoma, Wisconsin 54201.

NOTE: Access to the Shanty is not permitted; warning signs on and around the property make this abundantly clear.

Art Dettman was a one-time mayor of Algoma.

The Shanty is included in the Historic Algoma Walking Tour
Constructed in 1935, the Art Dettmann fish shanty is an original example of the type of structures built by commercial fishermen in the 1920’s and 1930’s. 

Church Street at the Anhapee River, Kewaunee County, Algoma
Historic Name: Dettman, Art, Fishing Shanty
Reference Number: 93001428

Period of Significance: 1925-1949
Area of Significance: Commerce
Historic Use: Agriculture/Subsistence: Fishing Facility Or Site
Architectural Style: Late 19th And Early 20th Century American Movements

Historic Status: Listed in the National Register
Historic Status: Listed in the State Register
National Historic Landmark Listing Date:
National Register Listing Date: 1993-12-10
State Register Listing Date: 1993-10-08

With the shanty visible in the distance to the left.

The historic shanty.

"Margaret" is also at the property.


 Margaret honored on a downtown Algoma Wall Dogs mural.



Dettman's Shanty is located in Algoma, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment