Carp, introduced by European settlers, were stocked in Wisconsin waters as early as 1880. They thrived in shallow waters of rivers and lakes, reproduced rapidly and by 1900, anglers asked the state to begin a carp removal project. Permits and contracts were issued for this purpose.
In 1934, the WCD [Wisconsin Conservation Department] hired seining crews and established rough-fish camps. Fish Camp Launch was one of several removal facilities. Carp were harvested by seining and herded into holding pens. They were shipped live in tank trucks to stock ponds in other states or packed in ice and sent by rail to fresh fish markets in Chicago and New York. Carp was used for gefullte fish and as animal feed and fertilizer. Over 9,000 tons of rough fish were harvested at this fish camp during its years of operation.
The DNR [Department of Natural Resources] discontinued Yahara Lakes seining in 1969 because of declining carp markets and increasing operational costs.
This marker is No. 39 in the Dane County Historical Society Markers Series.
Click here to view all markers at Fish Camp Launch (there are several).