ST. PATRICK PARISH
In 1867-68, at this site, on land donated by Patrick Donohoe in 1861, early Irish immigrants built a white frame church dedicated to St. Patrick. The location was called "Bad Axe" the original name of Vernon County.
The Church was dedicated in 1868, and St. Patrick parish was attached as a mission to St. Mary's at St. Mary's Ridge. Subsequently it was transferred to Sts. Peter & Paul in Pine Hollow, and later, to Sacred Heart parish in Cashton. The priests at those parishes served as pastors of St. Patrick, and celebrated Mass here monthly and on other occasions. In August, 1936, the church was struck by lightning and burned to the ground.
Many of the early settlers, founders of this parish, and later parishioners, are buried in the cemetery here, which was adjacent to the church. This sign is erected in their memory.