Marker 121: Du Bay Trading Post

© Photographed October 11, 2013
Erected 1962 by Wisconsin Historical Society
Junction City, Portage County, Wisconsin
44° 40.567′ N, 89° 41.546′ W

DU BAY TRADING POST
In 1834 John Baptiste Du Bay established a trading post on the Wisconsin River one mile east of here for the American Fur Company. His wife was Princess Madeline, daughter of Oshkosh, Chief of the Menominee Indians. According to tradition, Du Bay’s father, John Lewis Du Bay, a French-Canadian voyageur, spent the winter of 1790 on the same site, which was known to the Chippewas as Nay-osh-ing, meaning “the Point.” Because of an underwater ledge, this was the first place north of Petenwell Rock where the river could be forded on foot and therefore became a strategic Indian crossing to the Black River hunting grounds to the west. In the 1860’s stagecoaches operating between Stevens Point and Wausau took on passengers here. Lake Du Bay, created in 1942, covers the original site of the trading post. A monument marks Du Bay’s grave in Knowlton Cemetery 2½ miles north of here.


 John Baptiste DuBay portrait
This work is in the public domain in its country of origin
and other countries and areas where the copyright term 
is the author's life plus 70 years or less.
Click here for more information.



 Fabulous Fall at marker location . . .



The marker is located at DuBay County Park.

 The road leading up to the marker . . .

 See also, John Baptiste DuBay 1810 - 1887,
DuBay's referenced nearby burial site
in Township of Knowlton in Marathon County.

A lovely fall day in Portage County!

No comments:

Post a Comment