Candute Anderson was born Canute Ingverson Eggum in Laerdal, Norway. He arrived in the Grantsburg agre in 1854, establishing a stopping place and trading post where the buildings southeast of this marker stand. Opening the first post office in his home, he was appointed postmaster. He married Catherine Nelson, a Swedish immigrant, and to this union twelve children were born, establishing the village of Grantsburg. He built a saw and flour mill, store, and hotel. When Burnett County was reorganized he was appointed clerk of court by the governor, and served as presidential elector. Elected to the Assembly, he represented the six northwestern counties. He later helped bring the railroad into Grantsburg. Founder of the original Burdett County Fair, he served as first president of the Burnett County Agricultural Society. In 1860 he built a school at this location, in which the first Swedish Baptist Church in Wasconsin was organized. Later he donated the land and helped organize the St. Olaf Lutheran Church, which is now the Bethany Lutheran Church. At the time of his death he was chairman of the combined townships of Anderson and Grantsburg.