Birthplace of the American League

© Photographed August 14, 2016
Erected 2000 by Society for American Baseball Research,
The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
and The Milwaukee County Historical Society.
This marker was dedicated in the centennial year
of Major League Baseball’s Junior Circuit.
43° 2.512′ N, 87° 54.879′ W

BIRTHPLACE OF THE 
AMERICAN LEAGUE
The Republican House, a hotel that stood on this site from 1886 to 1961, was the birthplace of baseball’s American League. On the night of March 5, 1900, Milwaukee attorney Henry Killilea, his brother Matt, Connie Mack, Byron (Ban) Johnson, and Charles Comiskey gathered in Room 185. In defiance of the existing National League, Comiskey’s Chicago White Stockings (later Sox) were incorporated, and the league's eight team alignment was completed. After the 1900 season, the league reorganized, placed teams in Baltimore, Boston, Philadelphia, and Washington, D.C., and achieved major league status.
The marker is located on southbound North Old World 3rd  Street, at its intersection with West Kilbourn Avenue, on the fourth stone pillar from the corner of a fence enclosing a parking lot of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53203.




 


 The fence surrounds a parking lot for the
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

The marker is to the left of this Milwaukee
Journal Sentinel parking lot entrance.

No comments:

Post a Comment