Union Congregational Church / United Church of Christ

Erected in tribute to Dr. Charles L. Bagby
Minister 1959-1981
Green Bay, Brown County, Wisconsin
44.504515,-88.01783
Google Map

UNION CONGREGATIONAL
CHUIRCH
UNITED CHURCH OF CHRIST
This church was organized on September 21, 1835 as First Presbyterian Church and held its first worship service on January 10, 1836 in the surgeon's quarters of Fort Howard Hospital.

During the Civil War era, the church was, at one point, on the "Underground Railroad", which assisted escaped slaves in gaining their freedom.

On May 9, 1899, the church became Union Congregational Church.

The church has a long history of ecumenical union and fellowship; first in the Bond of Union between the Presbyterian and Congregational churches in 1840; later in 1851, as a charter member of the Winnebago Association and the Wisconsin Conference of Congregational Churches. In 1964, in keeping with its historic relationship with the majority of Congregational Churches, Union Church became a member of the United Church of Christ.

We invite all to share in our worship and the joy of discipleship in a community of faith.
The marker is located in front of the Union Congregational Church, 716 South Madison Street, at its intersection with Spring Street, Green Bay, Wisconsin 54301.

Wisconsin Historical Society: The Underground Railroad in Wisconsin







No comments:

Post a Comment