Packers Heritage Trail Marker 12: Columbus Community Club

© Photographed May 25, 2017
Erected 2012 by Packers Heritage Trail Foundation
Sponsored by H.J. Martin and Son, Inc. /
The Edward and Terri Martin Family
Green Bay, Brown County, Wisconsin
44° 30.76′ N, 88° 0.8′ W

COLUMBUS COMMUNITY CLUB
The Columbus Community Club, which opened in 1925 as a recreational and social center, played many roles in Packer history.

In the 1920s, before radio broadcasts of Packer games, large crowds gathered on Sunday afternoons when the team was playing on the road. A play-by-play was transmitted by telegraph wire from the site of the game, and the results were posted here on a large board built in the shape of a football field.

From 1927 until the mid-1930s, the Packers used the top floor as a clubhouse. For five years, starting in 1930, their ticket office was located here, as well.

The building also was the site of championship celebrations and rousing public rallies that helped save the franchise. Banquets were held in the first-floor auditorium after the Packers won NFL titles in 1936 and 1939. On April 11, 1950, more than 1,500 fans filled the auditorium to kick off the Packers' third stock drive. And on March 31, 1956, more than 1,000 fans attended a rally in support of building what is now Lambeau Field. George Halas and Curly Lambeau were among the speakers. Three days later, the city-wide referendum passed in a landslide.

This also was where the Vince Lombardi Show was taped by WBAY-TV.
The marker is located at the WBAY-TV Building, 115 South Jefferson Street, Green Bay , Wisconsin 54301.

See also, Brown County: Packers Heritage Trail and Packers Heritage Trail Map, for a complete list of markers and their locations.

The official website of the World Champion Packers




The marker is located in Green Bay, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment