West Bend, Washington County, Wisconsin
This block was deeded to Washington County on May 2, 1853, by the Wightman, Kilbourn, Kneeland, and Wolcott families to locate and erect county buildings. The original courthouse, constructed in 1854, was relocated to Main Street when the 1889 courthouse was built. The jail and sheriff’s residence was constructed in 1886. When a new jail was built in 1962, the Washington County Historical Society established a museum in the old jail. In 1992, the courthouse was vacated making it available for historic activities.