Marker 466: Alonzo E. Horton (1813-1909)

© Photographed November 7, 2015
Erected 2001 by State Historical Society of Wisconsin
Hortonville, Outagamie County, Wisconsin
44° 20.089′ N, 88° 38.246′ W

ALONZO E. HORTON
1813 - 1909
Horton was born in Connecticut. In 1848, he purchased land in this heavily forested area and built a dam across Black Otter Creek to power a sawmill. Water collecting behind Horton's dam formed Black Otter Lake.

Hortonville, named after its founder, quickly developed. Wooden aqueducts were extended from the lake to power the saw, flour and gristmills. Hotels, general stores, and taverns created the present Main Street. This small community was incorporated as the Village of Hortonville in 1894.

In the early 1850s, Horton headed west. He became a prospector and tradesman in the San Francisco, California area. In 1867, he took a steamer down the coast and bought land, using his promotional skills to found New San Diego, where he continued to be a colorful character into old age.
The marker is located in Veterans Park on eastbound East Main Street / Wisconsin Highway 15, between North Nash Street (to the west) and North Oak Street (to the east), Hortonville, Wisconsin 54944.

See also, Hortonville Veterans Memorial, also at this location.





This is a difficult marker to photograph; it faces north . . .


The marker is located at Veterans Park.


The marker is located in Hortonville, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment