Erected 1973 by Wisconsin Historical Society
Two Rivers, Manitowoc County, Wisconsin
ICE CREAM SUNDAE
In 1881, George Hallauer asked Edward C. Berner, the owner of a soda fountain at 1404 – 15th Street, to top a dish of ice cream with chocolate sauce, hitherto used only for ice cream sodas. The concoction cost a nickel and soon became very popular, but was sold only on Sundays.
One day a ten year old girl insisted she have a dish of ice cream "with that stuff on top," saying they could "pretend it was Sunday." After that, the confection was sold every day in many flavors. It lost its Sunday–only association, to be called ICE CREAM SUNDAE when a glassware salesman placed an order with his company for the long canoe–shaped dishes in which it was served, as "Sundae dishes."
See also, Two Rivers Civil War Memorial, also at this location.